My friends have been asking me to help them with recipes. Well ! the first dish I prepared was a non – vegetarian dish and thereby I begin with a non vegetarian dish
I’ve always liked sea fishes prepared in Kerala style.
But when it comes to some river fish, I prefer making it in a little bengoli style.
Here are the ingredients:
- Cleaned rohu fish/ rui/river fish
- One Onion cut into small pieces
- 7- 8 gloves of garlic
- Three slit chillies
- Two small tomatoes/one big size tomotao
- Ginger (an important ingredient) quantity equivalent to garlic
- Coriader leaves for garnish/flavour
- Mustard seeds that aren’t dried much(preferably brown color) – Main Ingredient
- two teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- Fry the raw fish(marinated in salt and turmeric only)in sunflower oil till its brown to reddish color in frying pan (kadai) or cooking pot
- While the fish is being fried, you can soak the mustard seeds in water
- Also, you can take the cut onions, 7- 8 peeled garlic cloves , ginger and one teaspoon of cumin seeds and grind it into a paste by adding just little water.
- One the fishes are fried , in the same oil add the ground paste after the fishes have been removed.
- Crunch the soaked mustard seeds using pestle and mortar or using belan and chakla
- Add salt/ turmeric along with crushed mustard seeds.Cook and stir well in between till the oil is completely absorbed
- Add the cut tomatoes, slit chilies and wait till the tomatoes becomes mushy
- Add enough water to drown all the fishes. Wait for it to boil.
- Add the fried fishes
- Add coriander leaves
- Cover the container with a plate/lid
- Turn off the gas. Let the pan(kadai) remain covered for 15 mins to retain the flavor.
- It serves best with plain rice .
Try and let me know you’ve liked it..
I’v hardly used any additional masala’s ,just three slit chilli’s along with turmeric and salt. It gives u a very authentic taste because of the mustard seeds
Its also easy / quick to cook and what else , its also delicious 🙂
Drop me your comments or email me at email@example.com if you have any queries/ suggestion.